My sister signed a contract and defaulted. She had my name listed on this contract without my knowledge. The creditor has conta

Sacramento, CA |

My sister had a bail company and I did help her with getting her in business, but the business license is in her name solely and she was the only one that signed.

1. It looks like part of your question has been cut off. However, based on the information you've provided, I can say that you generally cannot be liable on a contract that you never signed or had knowledge of.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that your sister "listed" you on the contract (whether she named you as a guarantor, an additional party, etc.). However, the fact remains that, if you did not knowingly enter into the agreement, then no contract was formed between you and the creditor.

Best of luck to you.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, and should not be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author, and Pham Law Group does not represent you as your attorneys until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both parties.

2. Has a lawsuit already been filed against you? You didn't ask a specific question, and in any event, there is insufficient information in your post (which appears to be cut off). However, I agree with Attorney Pham that you generally cannot be held liable for an agreement to which you did not consent.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

3. Not enough info. While the business license is in her name, is the business a sole proprietorship? How is the lease held? Is there a fictitious business name being used? Who filed the FBN? A partnership? How did she sign the contract? Was it on behlf of a partnership, corp, or individual?

4. I agree that more detail is needed to assess your situation. You should contact an attorney immediately to evaluation your situation. Good luck.

Law Offices of Linh T. Nguyen 916.509.7200 Disclaimer: This reply is not intended to be and does not constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. I always recommend consulting with an attorney, especially since many attorneys offer free, no-obligation consultations.