My sister signed a contract and defaulted. She had my name listed on this contract without my knowledge. The creditor has conta

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

My sister had a bail company and I did help her with getting her in business, but the business license is in her name solely and she was the only one that signed.

1. Jeff Hoang Pham

7

Answered . It looks like part of your question has been cut off. However, based on the information you've provided, I can say that you generally cannot be liable on a contract that you never signed or had knowledge of.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that your sister "listed" you on the contract (whether she named you as a guarantor, an additional party, etc.). However, the fact remains that, if you did not knowingly enter into the agreement, then no contract was formed between you and the creditor.

Best of luck to you.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

6

Answered . Has a lawsuit already been filed against you? You didn't ask a specific question, and in any event, there is insufficient information in your post (which appears to be cut off). However, I agree with Attorney Pham that you generally cannot be held liable for an agreement to which you did not consent.

3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

3

Answered . Not enough info. While the business license is in her name, is the business a sole proprietorship? How is the lease held? Is there a fictitious business name being used? Who filed the FBN? A partnership? How did she sign the contract? Was it on behlf of a partnership, corp, or individual?

4. Linh Thiet Nguyen

1

Answered . I agree that more detail is needed to assess your situation. You should contact an attorney immediately to evaluation your situation. Good luck.