My sister prepared my 2012 tax return she made an error. I get a couple of letters saying I owe 750.00 dollars.

Asked over 1 year ago - Baton Rouge, LA

I always use both my parents .They are both in their late seventies and my sister use wrong birthdays for them both as if they were childrens.

1. Pamela Koslyn

7

Answered . You're liable for whatever tax you owe, regardless of any errors any tax return preparer made, but your tax preparer could be liable for whatever penalties and interest the IRS hits you with because of those errors.

2. David Aaron Wiesen

Pro

5

Answered . You have most likely received a CP2000 letter saying there was a mistake. Contact the IRS and let them know you do not agree to the new amount and have a qualified tax preparer submit an amended return with the correct information on it.

The tax professional will know whether or not you need to file an amended tax return for the State also.

3. Steven Anderson Leahy

Pro

5

Answered . You are always responsible for the work done for you by your tax preparer. That's why the IRS requires your signature on the form, under penalty of perjury. You can amend your return to correct the error. Or, you can simply review the IRS's changes, and, if you agree, sign and return the form to the IRS.

I hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Steven A. Leahy
    www.chicagotaxteam.com

4. Brett A. Thompson

4

Answered . File an amended return by an experienced return preparer. Also file Form 843 to request the penalties be abated. You are ignoring the letters and you are loosing your rights. Soon you will be talking (if your lucky) with Automated Collections (AC) and the are called Automated for a reason. You are waiving your due process rights by ignoring the letters.

5. Christopher Michael Larson

3

Answered . Sounds like you need to get on an installment agreement to pay that $750 if you cannot pay it immediately.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Lawyer
    Tax Attorney
    Tax Lawyer Bellevue
    Tax Lawyer Everett
    Tax Lawyer Kent WA
    Tax Lawyer Kirkland WA
    Everett IRS Contact Info
    Seattle IRS Tax Problems Help
    Bankruptcy Lawyer
    Estate Planning Lawyer
    IRS Appeals Attorney
    IRS Installment Agreement
    Washington B&O Tax Audit
    Washington Sales Tax Audit
    IRS Audit Reconsideration Lawyer