My sister is having a baby and both her and her boyfriend want to give the baby to my husband and I, what do we do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Apache Junction, AZ

My sister just found out she is pregnant and she isn't ready to raise a child she wants to go to school and wait a while before having children. Her boyfiend and her want to give us custody and full parental rights. The child would be our child and their niece or nephew. They live in MO and we live in AZ how would we go about doing this? Please give me as much info as you can.

1. Taylor House

Pro

1

1

Answered . This would be a difficult process that would probably require an experience adoption or family law attorney. Most likely, the natural parents would need to consent to the adoption in court, and then you and your husband would legally adopt, possibly at the same proceeding. Every state does it differently, and you will most likely need a lawyer in MO. Arizona law wouldn't be involved. You can also try looking at free resources on the court's website in MO (they might have instructions or forms to fill out). Good luck.

2. Peter Joseph Lamont

Pro

1

Answered . I would need more information before I could provide you with a proper response. This appears to be a complex matter and thus, I suggest that you speak with a local attorney as soon as possible.

3. Sara Marie Grant Rojas

Answered . I agree with Mr. House, except that I would be surprised if the court website had forms that were appropriate for your situation. Adoptions are a complicated matter and you should retain experienced legal counsel to assist you. The consequences of not doing so are that the adoption and custody of the child could be challenged later down the road, after you have had time to bond with the child.