Skip to main content

My sister is having a baby and both her and her boyfriend want to give the baby to my husband and I, what do we do?

Apache Junction, AZ |

My sister just found out she is pregnant and she isn't ready to raise a child she wants to go to school and wait a while before having children. Her boyfiend and her want to give us custody and full parental rights. The child would be our child and their niece or nephew. They live in MO and we live in AZ how would we go about doing this? Please give me as much info as you can.

Attorney Answers 3


I would need more information before I could provide you with a proper response. This appears to be a complex matter and thus, I suggest that you speak with a local attorney as soon as possible.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Peter J. Lamont, Esq. Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont 623 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 2, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 Phone: (973) 949-3770 Fax: (866) 603-0471 Toll Free: (855) NJLAW01 (855) 655-2901 Additional Offices in New York, Monument, CO, San Juan, PR and affiliates throughout the country. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


This would be a difficult process that would probably require an experience adoption or family law attorney. Most likely, the natural parents would need to consent to the adoption in court, and then you and your husband would legally adopt, possibly at the same proceeding. Every state does it differently, and you will most likely need a lawyer in MO. Arizona law wouldn't be involved. You can also try looking at free resources on the court's website in MO (they might have instructions or forms to fill out). Good luck.

This post is general information about divorce and family law in Arizona, and is not legal advice. Divorce is a complex process, and taking legal action without the one-on-one professional advice of a lawyer can produce unexpected results.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with Mr. House, except that I would be surprised if the court website had forms that were appropriate for your situation. Adoptions are a complicated matter and you should retain experienced legal counsel to assist you. The consequences of not doing so are that the adoption and custody of the child could be challenged later down the road, after you have had time to bond with the child.

I appreciate your endorsements! If you "agree," or found this response "helpful," please mark it as so. You can contact The Law Offices of Sara M. G. Rojas, PLLC or find out more information about us and the services we offer using any of the following: phone or fax- 612-206-3722; postal mail- 310 Fourth Avenue South, Suite 5010, Minneapolis, MN 55415; email-; web- Disclaimer: Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice or creates an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a local attorney regarding your specific legal circumstances. Answers posted on Avvo are intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation about your specific legal issues, with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. You should not rely solely upon this website, or other resources which may be linked to an answer in addressing your legal issues. Questions and answers, or other postings to the Avvo site, are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo Terms of Use are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota and the U.S. District of Minnesota. Any general information I provide about non-Minnesota laws should be verified with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

Mark as helpful

Adoption topics

Recommended articles about Adoption

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics