Skip to main content

My sister is executive of my mothers will. a year ago to avoid my father getting my mothers house she put the house in my

Lehighton, PA |

sister name. before she died she wrote on a piece of paper that when she dies if I decide I want to stay and live in the house i would have to get a loan and pay my 4 siblings off and i would have 2 years to do this, but if i decide to not stay there the house is to be sold and split between us five siblings with me getting an addiational 20 k because I finisihed the basement. I decided not to stay and my sister is coming up with all the reason why we shouldn't sell it. Is there anything I can do to make her sell the house. this paper was signed by my mother, sister and I. Everyone in our family is aware of what my moms wishes were.

Attorney Answers 4


There are a lot of potential issues in your question. I highly recommend that you find an attorney in your area to go over everything and to help you weigh your options.

Good luck!

Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


It always amazes me when people write stuff on pieces of paper and then come to lawyers to try to figure out whether what was done has any legal power.

To the rest of you who are reading the question and answer, PLEASE seek the help of a lawyer BEFORE you decide to write on that piece of paper. We may not always get it right, but you stand a better chance of having your wishes upheld after you're gone.

To the writer of this question: There are so many problems with what was done, that I am unable to sort it all out for you in the space which is provided here.

My advice: Take your Piece of Paper to a lawyer and tell him or her all the facts to see if this salad of facts can be straightened out.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Flood and Masiuk, LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


My colleagues are correct. Your best bet is to meet with a local lawyer to explore your specific circumstances. I will add that without seeing the paper (or what was written on it), I doubt that it has any legal effect.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues. You could have a HUGE mess on your hands. It appears from your summary that your sister is now the legal owner of the home. That may not be the case, however, because your father may have an interest in the property, as well. But if your sister is the owner, the house is hers and she is under no obligation to sell or divide any sale proceeds. You *might* have a claim for your services, but you might not. In many areas, only a licensed contractor can collect for their work on a home. So you have MANY issues to sort out, here. It sounds like your sister is trying to honor her understanding of your mother's wishes, even though she may have no legal obligation to do so. If you press this issue too hard, she may find out that she can tell you to take a giant leap. A lawyer can (and probably should) review the documents. There may be absolutely nothing you can do.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees