My sister is charged with manufacturing and distributing a controlled substance 200g-400g. How long can they keep her

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

She is in ellis county jail in texas she was speeding and got pulled over and she had the drugs in the car she was then taking to jail her bond is 20,000 if she doesnt get bailed out how long does she stay in there? Also she has been in there for 5 days now did any of the court process. start if do what (ex. Arraigment ect)

I am going to assume that because she is still in jail with a bond of only $20k (relatively small for what sounds like a 1st degree felony, only about $2k to get out) that the money isn't readily available to hire a good attorney. Therefore, the first thing I would recommend is that she asks the jail for an application for a court-appointed attorney ASAP. She needs an advocate in her corner as soon as she can get one that can help her navigate her way through this.

Well we went through bondsman but they want 20,000 worth collateral & 3k we have 20,000 our life savings but if she going to go back.jail or prison i dont want to risk loosing 20,00 0 (i have two kids) if she is caught with the drugs on her is it more likely she will go prison? (She is my sister n law so i am quite confused)

David Christopher Hardaway

David Christopher Hardaway

If you've got the money and want to help her, I would strongly recommend getting an attorney who knows their way around a drug case. It won't be cheap to get someone worth hiring, but it could be well worth the cost. For starters, how did the cop get from pulling her over for speeding to having PC to search the car?

I.have no.idea i do believe they just asked her to step out &i asked to search the car &i she let them dhe claims there not hers but i dont know her well enough to b sure see i.live in.iowa as she is in texas

David Christopher Hardaway

David Christopher Hardaway

Well it sounds like she potentially has two issues: 1) was the search valid, and if yes 2) can the contraband be sufficiently linked to your sister. Do you know where the drugs were found? Whose car it was? Who the drugs belonged to if not her? These are all important initial questions. If you'd like to discuss this further, feel free to e-mail me at hardaway.david@gmail.com. Or you are welcome to call me at the office after 10 am when I'll get out of court at 512-805-6613. Hopefully I can at least help you figure out what your next steps should be.

If she doesn't bond out, she will be there until after she enters a guilty plea or has her trial. She should have had her arraignment (during which the judge rads probable cause and her legal warnings within 48 hours of arrest.

Joseph Vinas answers questions on Avvo for general information and not as legal advice. Those answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please contact Mr. Vinas at (713) 229-9992 for a FREE CONSULTATION or visit his website at www.vgsfirm.com

She stays there until the case is disposed of (pled out, dismissed, had a trial, etc.). They should indict her within 90 days. How long it takes from there is anyone's guess. It depends largely on how the case is disposed of. This looks like a first degree felony. She needs an attorney representing her that is experienced handling drug cases.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.