My sister is charged with manufacturing and distributing a controlled substance 200g-400g. How long can they keep her

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

She is in ellis county jail in texas she was speeding and got pulled over and she had the drugs in the car she was then taking to jail her bond is 20,000 if she doesnt get bailed out how long does she stay in there? Also she has been in there for 5 days now did any of the court process. start if do what (ex. Arraigment ect)

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David Christopher Hardaway

    Contributor Level 10
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I am going to assume that because she is still in jail with a bond of only $20k (relatively small for what sounds like a 1st degree felony, only about $2k to get out) that the money isn't readily available to hire a good attorney. Therefore, the first thing I would recommend is that she asks the jail for an application for a court-appointed attorney ASAP. She needs an advocate in her corner as soon as she can get one that can help her navigate her way through this.

  2. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . She stays there until the case is disposed of (pled out, dismissed, had a trial, etc.). They should indict her within 90 days. How long it takes from there is anyone's guess. It depends largely on how the case is disposed of. This looks like a first degree felony. She needs an attorney representing her that is experienced handling drug cases.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more
  3. Joseph Francis Vinas

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . If she doesn't bond out, she will be there until after she enters a guilty plea or has her trial. She should have had her arraignment (during which the judge rads probable cause and her legal warnings within 48 hours of arrest.

    Joseph Vinas answers questions on Avvo for general information and not as legal advice. Those answers do not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,736 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,736 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering