Skip to main content

My sister is an illegal immigrant.

New York, NY |

She obtained a Bachelor degree in our country and also she is a Chiropractor as well as a Technician in rehabilitation. She has been in this country since 2001. She has been working since then and paying taxes. Be that as it may, she has a tax number that she can use. I want to help her to get her legal in the country so that she can be free to go back to school and most of all, be legal. She could be working for doctors or even hospitals and have a normal life in this wonderful country. I do not know what to do. If I start the I-145 or I-601 then I am afraid that she would be sent back to our country which right now that would be dangerous since the conditions in our country are extremely difficult economically. I need some support and help to see what to do.

Attorney Answers 7

  1. please work with a local imm attny there are many greeat ones here on avvo, take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  2. Your question will have to be answered in the context of a full consultation where a lot more information will need to be provided. Immigration is not just "form-filling" "get my papers" type of practice. It involves a lot of careful thought and attention. A question cannot be answered without sufficient information, inquiries, and even sometimes requests for information from agencies. Search Avvo; for an excellent immigration attorney in your area and who has a lot of experience. Best of luck

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.

  3. Definitely get a full consultation to look at all factors, including the possible new laws that are not out yet but may help her on a path to legalization. You may find that waiting a few more months will make a difference in whether an attorney can help you and your sister. Remember, there are no new laws yet to help her and go to a qualified immigration attorney not a notario

    Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no attorney client relationship is formed by this response to your question.

  4. As a sister, if you sponsor her, you have to start with I-130. Once that is approved, it is going to take about 14 years before the talk about immigrating could become relevant. Even if it is, you will not be eligible for AOS unless they change the law. I-601 will also not be available, unless they change the law.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  5. Will she qualify for 245(i)? In any event, she needs an immediate relative to sponsor her (like a husband or a son/daughter), or she needs to have an employer to sponsor her, and probably she will need a waiver... Unless Immigration reform will help her.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

  6. You and your sister will get the most comprehensive and helpful answer by consulting with an attorney who can ask and get answers to all of the questions (and more) posed by my colleagues.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  7. Have you looked into deferred action for childhood arrivals? It's a temporary program for two years and does not provide legal status but it will protect her from deportation and allow her to work legally in the US and obtain a driver's license. This can be done along with your petition for her as your sister.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics