My sister is a US citizen and i'm her married brother sibling and she wants me to petition, would that take time?

Asked 9 months ago - Parsippany, NJ

Asking for how many year that would take for petitioning as married sibling.

1. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . It will take over twenty years if you are from the Philippines and you qualify. USCIS does not consider siblings to be immediate relatives. Nevertheless it is recommended that you apply for two reasons. First, impending immigration reform sources have revealed that this category will be eliminated after reform passes. Second we have been told that the wait will shorten. Immigration Reform is not law and has not passed. The details are speculative.

2. Stanley P. Walker

5

1

Answered . An adult U.S. citizen can petition for his or her sibling. The current wait time for visa availability is about 12 years (unless you are from Mexico or the Philippines and then it is running longer). The fact that one or both of you is married is irrelevant to the wait time. You should go ahead and file the I-130 petition now for a couple of reasons. First, if we get immigration reform, it could drastically affect those wait times. The current bill that passed the senate proposes increasing the number of visas available each year and making F2A category members immediate relatives (F2A category beneficiaries take up roughly half of the available visas each year). Second, if we get immigration reform, your sister may not be able to petition for you in the future. The current bill does away with the F4 category (brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens) completely. You should talk with a qualified immigration lawyer to see about how best to proceed and if there are any other options available to you in the meantime. Best of luck to you.

3. Ji Min Kim

Pro

4

1

Answered . She wants to petition for you as her sibling to get a green card? It takes awhile. 10 year ish under current schedule.The USCIS does not care (for sibling) about your or her marital status. Check current visa bulletin.

4. Natalia Polukhtin

4

1

Answered . Yes, depending on your country of citizenship, the processing will take between 11 and 17 years, approximately.