My sister is 17, and is wanting to move out of my parents house into mine. I am 19 and living on my own. Is this aloud in GA?

Warner Robins, GA |

I am renting a 3 bedroom 2 bath with my fiancé and we have the room to take her.. All of us have jobs, but I need to know if its legal or not and what we have to do to make it happen if it is legal.

The "catch" of emancipation is that if you are 17 then you are probably going to turn 18 before you get emancipated. If you are less than 17, you probably aren't going to get emancipated anyway. That's why emancipations are rare. They are rarely "ripe" and worth the trouble.

Tough it out. Turn 18, and then she is free to make all the mistakes she wants.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

That what I tried to explain to her. thank you for your help

Absent her parent's permission or a court emancipation order, you cannot do it.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

She was researching emancipation. our mother supports her, but has made the home unbearable to live in. She read that emancipation requires parents consent or proof that the parents are neglecting her. Are there any ways around that?

Child custody topics