My sister is 17, and is wanting to move out of my parents house into mine. I am 19 and living on my own. Is this aloud in GA?

Asked about 1 year ago - Warner Robins, GA

I am renting a 3 bedroom 2 bath with my fiancé and we have the room to take her.. All of us have jobs, but I need to know if its legal or not and what we have to do to make it happen if it is legal.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John Arnold Steakley

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The "catch" of emancipation is that if you are 17 then you are probably going to turn 18 before you get emancipated. If you are less than 17, you probably aren't going to get emancipated anyway. That's why emancipations are rare. They are rarely "ripe" and worth the trouble.

    Tough it out. Turn 18, and then she is free to make all the mistakes she wants.

    ↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.... more
  2. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Absent her parent's permission or a court emancipation order, you cannot do it.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,927 answers this week

3,069 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,927 answers this week

3,069 attorneys answering