My sister in law is a permanent resident moving to the US 7 months pregnant. can she apply for state health insurance?

Asked about 2 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

She plans to stay here for a few months and then go back. Once she can apply for her husband to come here they will move permanently.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You mean Medicaid? Yes, can apply, but will need to be qualified for it by the state's bureaucratic authority for it, by demonstrating hers and her husband's lack of adequate financial resources, and their being uninsured .

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To be on the safe side contact a local immigration law attorney ASAP.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If she has a greencard ... but doesn't live in the US ... she has problems.

    That card may be 'no good' ... either because she didn't firmly establish her US residence, or she abandoned it.

    Don't be fooled into thinking that a re-entry permit will 'save' her.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . She needs to be talking to an Immigration lawyer, now. I am not one.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Family based green card

Citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their relatives for permanent residence in the United States.

Danielle Nelisse

Green Card Marriage Interview

The immigration interview husbands and wives are required to attend in order to get the foreign spouse their green card (lawful permanent residence) through marriage can be very anxiety... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,475 answers this week

3,560 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,475 answers this week

3,560 attorneys answering