My sister has three children that she's not taking care of. How do I get custody?

Asked over 1 year ago - Southfield, MI

My sister has a total of 5 kids 2 of them got taken away because she neglected them. The other three she had years later are going through the same thing and I hate to have them end up in foster care. She hasn't bathed them in 2mnths and she leaves them at home by themselves and they are all under 5. I currently live by myself and make a decent amount. What steps do I need to take to try to get custody?

1. John J. Keenan

4

Answered . I would start by filing for guardianship in the Probate Court. From the facts you present, it sounds as if you would be successful in obtaining guardianship.

Best of luck to you,

John J. Keenan

2. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . File a guardianship before CPS gets involved. Maybe your sister will consent.

3. Daniel Findling

Pro

2

Answered . Custody is a legal term of art for biological parents. Guardianship is the term used for non-parents.

Daniel
    Community forum: www.divorceforum.com

4. Debra S. Keehn

Pro

1

Answered . File a petition for guardianship of a minor. Make sure to also file the social history, acceptance of trust, order and letters of authority. Get a waiver and consent from the parents if you can. Serve both parents with the petition(s), notice of hearing and then file a proof of service. Good luck.