My sister has POA for my parents. Can she assign a specific job to our brother?

Carmel, NY |

Parents are with my sister ( POA) in NY. Parents bank records are in NJ. Sister can't get to NJ on a weekday to get the records. Brother can. Can she assign him the responsibility of getting those records? If so, with just a letter? or does an attorney have to draw something up? POA is NY document. Thank you!

If she presents her POA with whatever documentation the bank requires she can get those records. Having brother picking them up does not present any particular legal problems assuming he gets them and delivers them to her immediately and without fail.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

I agree with Attorney Fromm. The only concern would be whether the bank will release the records to someone other than your parents or your sister (as their POA). The fact that you don't hold their POA may give the bank pause to release the documents to your attention without something more. The bank may require something in writing authorizing the document release to you or they may require that either your parents or the actual POA pick up the documents.

As an aside, why doesn't the bank just mail the documents to your sister since she actually holds the POA?

The information provided herein is for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice or legal opinion. You should not rely upon the information provided at this site without seeking individual advice from an attorney. No attorney-client relationship can be assumed or created by this post.

The answer specifically depends on whether the power of attorney, by its own terms, specifically reserved to your sister the ability to delegate tasks to others, including your brother- under the section entitled 'grant of authority', section (O), if this section was initialed, then it granted 'full and unqualified authority to my agents to delegate any or all of the foregoing powers to any person or persons whom my agent(s) select'.

Please be advised that this answer shall not constitute legal advice, or create an attorney-client relationship.

Wills and estates topics