My sister has died in testate. Can I and my sister do much of the legal work from our home states?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

We will want to sell her car and house. Is it too early to contact a realtor?

1. Howard A. Schwartz

5

Answered . This is not a criminal question. Repost for trust and estate attorneys in the state if the deceased or contact the surrogate court in that state.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

5

Answered . Repost in estate section, not criminal.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

5

Answered . Yes, but having a local lawyer would make your life easier.

4. James D. Kiley

4

Answered . One of you needs to be appoined administrator. You are going to need a lawyer to sell the house anyway, why not have that lawyer handle the probate as well?

5. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

4

Answered . You can do much without ever coming to NY, but it would be much easier, and not terribly expensive to hire an attorney in NY to file the paperwork and stay on top of it. It is too early to contact a realtor because before someone is appointed Adminstrator/Adminstratrix, there is no one who can sign listing contract or the deed if the property is sold. Technically, you cannot begin disposing of personal property either although that is often done, and there is a form on line which will allow a child to transfer a deceased parent's car into their name.

6. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

5

Answered . I'm going to edit the Practice Area to "Probate" so that it comes to the attention of lawyers who specialize in handling estate administration issues including intestate succession. I believe it is premature to contact a realtor until the property is subject to the laws governing intestate succession in your state. Good luck.