Skip to main content

My sister has died in testate. Can I and my sister do much of the legal work from our home states?

New York, NY |

We will want to sell her car and house. Is it too early to contact a realtor?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


I'm going to edit the Practice Area to "Probate" so that it comes to the attention of lawyers who specialize in handling estate administration issues including intestate succession. I believe it is premature to contact a realtor until the property is subject to the laws governing intestate succession in your state. Good luck.


This is not a criminal question. Repost for trust and estate attorneys in the state if the deceased or contact the surrogate court in that state.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


Repost in estate section, not criminal.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


Yes, but having a local lawyer would make your life easier.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


One of you needs to be appoined administrator. You are going to need a lawyer to sell the house anyway, why not have that lawyer handle the probate as well?

This communication does not create an attorney/client relationship. My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injruy and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family" 516 466-7900


You can do much without ever coming to NY, but it would be much easier, and not terribly expensive to hire an attorney in NY to file the paperwork and stay on top of it. It is too early to contact a realtor because before someone is appointed Adminstrator/Adminstratrix, there is no one who can sign listing contract or the deed if the property is sold. Technically, you cannot begin disposing of personal property either although that is often done, and there is a form on line which will allow a child to transfer a deceased parent's car into their name.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer