My sister had a trial date for a DUI trial. she was sick that day and slept in so she missed the trial. what will happen now?

Asked over 1 year ago - Canada, KY

will she be arrested?

she does have a doctors note. what happens to the breach warrant? does that mean she will be arrested? what can a lawyer do for her?

1. David Brent Cox

Pro

4

1

Answered . It is likely that a bench warrant has been issued for failing to appear for trial. Judges do not take kindly to those who fail to appear when required to do so. She needs to contact her attorney as soon as possible and discuss her situation to try to minimize the punishment which may be coming. If she does not have an attorney, she needs to retain one as soon as possible.

2. Frank Mascagni III

4

Answered . I assume you are posting from CANADA the country and not "CANADA, KY". If I am correct, she needs to hire a Canadian barrister ASAP to deal with the bench warrant and re docket the case ASAP. Time is not her friend, act immediately.

3. Jennifer L Taylor

4

Answered . It would be rare for a judge NOT to issue a bench warrant for her and revoke whatever bond she was on. If a bails bondsman was used, he will be looking for her. She needs to contact her attorney ASAP and get the bench warrant issue resolved.

4. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

5

Answered . In CA, a warrant would have definitely been issued, especially if she failed to appear at trial. I'd suggest that she either get herself on calendar to try to get the warrant recalled ASAP , or hire an attorney to help her do so. Good luck.