My sister died at 27 years old, due to doctor's errors and bad practices. She was treated at Lehigh Regional Medical Center??

Cape Coral, FL |

She was taken in for respiratory distress but, was given a paralytic and put on a ventilator. 2 days later another dr. came in and switched her machine out with another machine that was not the same pressure setting because, she was in the I.C.U. and when he came in her blood pressure or heart rate was 40+ and he stated in his records that he didn't know how long she was like that when he came in at 7 a.m.!! She was in cardiac arrest for God knows how long. Please help me.???

They did a central line to administer medications and punctured her lung! Then, while her lungs were hyper-inflated, they had punctured her lung that they seen something after they took her down to get an x-ray of both lungs which they actually did two x-rays two times because, they missed it the first time. They seen some kind of serious infection or something there. She went into cardiac arrest and it turned out later that she had MRSA in her right lung, which was infected and that was the one they had punctured!! She went into cardiac arrest due to the sepsis being released into her blood so fast and so much.!!

I am sorry for your loss. The medical malpractice statute is very specific as to who qualifies as a "survivor". Was your sister married, or did she have any children?

Feel free to read my website for information on this topic.

She was divorced but, I believe my mother is next of kin and she wants to consult as well. She is willing to give me full power of attorney if it is needed.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. You need to speak with an attorney soon. Florida’s medical malpractice laws are very forgiving to healthcare providers. The laws are strict as to who can bring suit and how quickly the suit must be filed. An attorney and medical expert must evaluate the potential claim before anything else.

For a free consultation about your legal issue, call (877) 675-7987.

As I stated above. My mother is next of kin but, she is willing to sign over full power of attorney to me if it is needed. How long do we have to file suit?? Is it 2 years from the date she passed??

Charles B. Upton II

Charles B. Upton II

Yes, based on the facts that you have provided, it is 2 years from the date of death. But you should not wait that long.

Ok, I understand. I've just been really having a very hard time but, I am ready now...

Charles B. Upton II

Charles B. Upton II

If you would like to discuss your potential claim, we can schedule an initial phone consultation.

Ok, I will consider it VERY SOON! :)

You should speak with an attorney ASAP.

Andrew M. Bonderud, Esq.
The Bonderud Law Firm, P.A.
Office: 904-438-8082
Free Consultations - 24/7

Andrew M. Bonderud, Esq. is an attorney with The Bonderud Law Firm, P.A. He offers free consultations 24/7. Andrew's posting here is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

Ok, thank you so much for responding to my questions.. :)

Sounds like a real nightmare.

I suggest that you contact a lawyer immediately as there are strict limits within which as action must be commenced or forever waived.

It was an extreme nightmare for all of our family. We miss her dearly and she didn't deserve this at all!!

A local malpractice lawyer can order the medical records to investigate

I have them but, their might be more that they didn't include. The doctor's pulled the Terrie Shalvo case on her and stated they had every right to pull the machines off because, they caused her to have extreme brain damage due to lack of oxygen to her brain because, she wasn't getting oxygen in her blood and I guess they failed to check her blood/oxygen levels like they're suppose too??

This sounds like a viable claim. As indicated by the other responses, you need to consult with a local medical malpractice attorney immediately.

Thank you David. I really appreciate your advice.. I appreciate all of your responses... God Bless. :)

I am so sorry for your loss and would be happy to help your family evaluate this claim. It is very unusual for someone so young to have respiratory distress. There must be a lot more facts that need to be evaluated. Since your sister was 27 - if she was not married and did not have a child who was dependent on her there may be no recoverable damages, but the conduct of the health care providers can still be reported.

She was married but, when she lost her little baby girl Nadia. She and her husband blamed each other and the marriage ended shortly after... My mother is the next of kin but, I really didn't understand what you mean??

Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Elizabeth Taylor Herd

A special law was passed in Florida in the 80s that limits recovery when there are no survivors as I indicated above. Your mother and you would not be survivors that would qualify under the law. It is wrong and it is not fair, but right now it is still the law in Florida. If you would like to join our fight against this awful law call the Florida Justice Association at 850-224-9403. Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Ok, thanks and I will. What about the Medical Malpractice, or wrongful death??

You should contact a Florida medical malpractice attorney immediately, as there may be a viable negligence claim. It is important for you to keep in mind that any medical negligence claim against a healthcare provider in Florida must be formally initiated within 2 years of the death. Also, as it is a wrongful death matter, the claim must be brought by your sister's estate. As a wrongful death matter, the claim will be subject to the limitations of Florida Statute 768.16. Specifically, the types of damages recoverable by your sister's estate are set forth in the statute. If your sister was unmarried and without children, the damages recoverable by the estate may be limited to economic damages such as medical bills and lost earning capacity (aka net accumulations). Basically, there are many variables, and you should contact a Florida malpractice attorney immediately.