My sister and I are tenants in common for a summer cottage. Does this include the dock that I paid for?

Sterling, NY |

My older brother had lifetime tenancy before he died with my and my sisters name on the deed. His name has been removed from the deed. 7 years ago when he was still alive he gave me permission to build a dock off oF the property 45 feet long into the water. I paid for it all myself. Does my sister own the dock over the water too, or just cottage and land?

1. How are you and your sister in title? are you joint tenants with rights of survivorship or tenants in common? Assuming you are not listed as separate percentages then your sister would own 1/2 the dock as well as the home. A more important question would be the right to maintain the dock and riparian rights. Generally, the United States maintains rights over navigable waters and you need permits to maintain any docks.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.