My sister and I are tenants in common for a summer cottage. Does this include the dock that I paid for?

Asked 8 months ago - Sterling, NY

My older brother had lifetime tenancy before he died with my and my sisters name on the deed. His name has been removed from the deed. 7 years ago when he was still alive he gave me permission to build a dock off oF the property 45 feet long into the water. I paid for it all myself. Does my sister own the dock over the water too, or just cottage and land?

1. Richard J. Chertock

Pro

Answered . How are you and your sister in title? are you joint tenants with rights of survivorship or tenants in common? Assuming you are not listed as separate percentages then your sister would own 1/2 the dock as well as the home. A more important question would be the right to maintain the dock and riparian rights. Generally, the United States maintains rights over navigable waters and you need permits to maintain any docks.