My significant other needs proof that we are in an opposite sex domestic relationship for health insurance. How can we do this?

Asked 11 months ago - Tacoma, WA

We live in washington state and have lived together for 12 years and have a joined checking account

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to check with the place where you want to obtain insurance what proofs it wants to sell you the insurance. There is no statutory approved proofs if you are not legally married or in a state registered domestic relationship.

    Only certain persons are eligible for a state registered domestic relationship. More information is at Chapter 26.60 RCW (STATE REGISTERED DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIPS).

    WA does not allow the formation within WA of a common law marriage between two persons regardless of how long two persons live together.

    While there is the doctrine of committed intimate relationship that may apply to your situation, that doctrine has no application to health insurance. Under the doctrine, the persons have property rights in properties that would have been community properties had they been married with each other.

    Some employers allow their employees to enroll specific persons in the employees' health insurance even though those persons are not the employees' spouses, state registered domestic partners, or dependents.

    You need to check with the place where you want to obtain health insurance to find out what proofs it wants. In some places, a statement signed under oath (such as through a public notary) may be all the proof the employer/insurer wants.

  2. Diane Grecco

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It would seem to me that the insurance company or Representative would have a list of the things that would qualify for this purpose. I'd suggest checking with them. Good Luck!

  3. Bruce Clement


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Check with the insurance agent. Policies normally cover the domestic partner only if it is registered.

    ©Bruce Clement. This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,312 answers this week

3,336 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,312 answers this week

3,336 attorneys answering