Skip to main content

My roommate invited someone over who stepped on a fishing hook i may have left on the floor. am i responsible for dr bill

Milwaukee, WI |

I wasn't home at the time, he was barefoot, this is a college house that i admit is not kept very clean.

Attorney Answers 4


Tenants do have a responsibility to keep a rented house in a reasonably safe and clean condition. This could be a claim by the person injured. You should consult with an attorney should a claim be filed by the injured party.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I am hoping you have renter's insurance. If so, and the person hurt wants to make a claim, they will do so with the insurance carrier. If you do not, you could be "on the hook" so to speak.

Good luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Respectfully, how big could the bill be for a bandage and a tetanus shot?

If the person injured has medical insurance, the insurer will pay the bill, less any deductible, and they will not be shy about letting you know if they think you are responsible to pay them back.

If the person doesn't have insurance, they would have to sue you to collect, and I have a hard time believing this would be worth the time and effort, or the involvement of lawyers.

If you want to do the right thing and pay the bills, get copies of the bills, and either pay the providers directly and/or get a release from the injured person.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


In most situations, you will be responsible for injuries and damages if you were negligent and your negligence was a cause of any injuries or damages. Assuming that you were the person who left the fishing hook on the floor and did not tell anyone about it, and assuming that the injured person can prove those facts, and assuming that the person who came to your house was invited by your roommate and legally on the property, you may be responsible for the injuries and medical care expenses for the injured person, if he makes a claim against you. If I am correct that this happened in Wisconsin, we do have comparative negligence, which means that if the injured person was also negligent for his own safety (as an example: walking barefoot in the home) then his negligence, if that is established, may reduce his claim for damages by the percentage of negligence which is attributed to him. If he is more negligent than you, Wisconsin law prevents him from successfully recovering any damages from you. Therefore, you may not be responsible for 100% of his claim for injuries and medical bills. If you and/or your roommate have renter's insurance, you should contact them as soon as possible to report the claim, and they will generally cover any claims made against you. Lastly, Wisconsin has a three year statue of limitations, which means that the injured party has three years to either settle with you or start a lawsuit against you; otherwise, his claim will be extinguished. I would suggest that if you have further questions, you should consult with an attorney.

The information you obtain from this posting, and/or the act of sending an e-mail to this site and viewing this posting, are not intended to and will not create an attorney-client relationship. The information you obtain from this posting is not, nor is it intended to be, specific legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own particular situation. The material in this posting is not intended to be advertising, but it is instead meant it to be general information only.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics