My roommate invited someone over who stepped on a fishing hook i may have left on the floor. am i responsible for dr bill

Asked about 2 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

I wasn't home at the time, he was barefoot, this is a college house that i admit is not kept very clean.

1. Jonathan S. Safran

Pro

5

Answered . In most situations, you will be responsible for injuries and damages if you were negligent and your negligence was a cause of any injuries or damages. Assuming that you were the person who left the fishing hook on the floor and did not tell anyone about it, and assuming that the injured person can prove those facts, and assuming that the person who came to your house was invited by your roommate and legally on the property, you may be responsible for the injuries and medical care expenses for the injured person, if he makes a claim against you. If I am correct that this happened in Wisconsin, we do have comparative negligence, which means that if the injured person was also negligent for his own safety (as an example: walking barefoot in the home) then his negligence, if that is established, may reduce his claim for damages by the percentage of negligence which is attributed to him. If he is more negligent than you, Wisconsin law prevents him from successfully recovering any damages from you. Therefore, you may not be responsible for 100% of his claim for injuries and medical bills. If you and/or your roommate have renter's insurance, you should contact them as soon as possible to report the claim, and they will generally cover any claims made against you. Lastly, Wisconsin has a three year statue of limitations, which means that the injured party has three years to either settle with you or start a lawsuit against you; otherwise, his claim will be extinguished. I would suggest that if you have further questions, you should consult with an attorney.

2. Michael C. Witt

Pro

4

Answered . Respectfully, how big could the bill be for a bandage and a tetanus shot?

If the person injured has medical insurance, the insurer will pay the bill, less any deductible, and they will not be shy about letting you know if they think you are responsible to pay them back.

If the person doesn't have insurance, they would have to sue you to collect, and I have a hard time believing this would be worth the time and effort, or the involvement of lawyers.

If you want to do the right thing and pay the bills, get copies of the bills, and either pay the providers directly and/or get a release from the injured person.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . I am hoping you have renter's insurance. If so, and the person hurt wants to make a claim, they will do so with the insurance carrier. If you do not, you could be "on the hook" so to speak.

4. David Alan Wolf

3

Answered . Tenants do have a responsibility to keep a rented house in a reasonably safe and clean condition. This could be a claim by the person injured. You should consult with an attorney should a claim be filed by the injured party.