My roommate has an unregistered gun. How do I report it?

Asked about 2 years ago - Gwynn Oak, MD

My roommate bought a gun which isn't registered to "protect herself." She is mentally unstable and I don't feel comfortable knowing she has it. How do I report it and/or protect myself (without a firearm)

1. Nicholas Bernard Proy

Answered . In Maryland, only "assault rifles" and handguns need to be registered if purchased by a Maryland resident. Rifles and shotguns do not need to be registered. If she had the gun before she moved to Maryland, it does not need to be registered. If she purchased the gun after she moved here it needs to be registered. However, these laws are constantly changing, and it has been a while since I have looked at them.

With that being said, if she has an unregistered firearm that she was required to register, then the police should be contacted. If you are truly fearful, you should move out, contact the police and get a peace order (also known as a "restraining order") against your roommate. An attorney can help you through the process.

***
    I proudly serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C. My phone number is (443) 352-8517 and my email address is nick@proylaw.com. For more information, you can also visit my website at www.proylaw.com.

2. Frank Mascagni III

1

Answered . Your post is troubling. If you feel at risk, move out of the apartment; ask your roommate to keep the gun somewhere else; store it in a locked secured location, etc.

I don't practice in MD, but perhaps some MD avvo criminal defense attorneys will respond to your post. If it is against state law there to possess a firearm that is unregistered, what are going to do, call the police? Do you think that may affect your relationship with your roommate? Think this one through before you act.

3. Robert Don Fink

Answered . If you are uncomforable with it, move out. It may not be legal for her to have it (I am not a MD lawyer)