Skip to main content

My roommate has an unregistered gun. How do I report it?

Gwynn Oak, MD |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My roommate bought a gun which isn't registered to "protect herself." She is mentally unstable and I don't feel comfortable knowing she has it. How do I report it and/or protect myself (without a firearm)

Attorney Answers 3


Your post is troubling. If you feel at risk, move out of the apartment; ask your roommate to keep the gun somewhere else; store it in a locked secured location, etc.

I don't practice in MD, but perhaps some MD avvo criminal defense attorneys will respond to your post. If it is against state law there to possess a firearm that is unregistered, what are going to do, call the police? Do you think that may affect your relationship with your roommate? Think this one through before you act.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If you are uncomforable with it, move out. It may not be legal for her to have it (I am not a MD lawyer)

This response is not intended to act as legal advice. I am not licensed to practice law in any state other than the State of Illinois. No attorney-client relationship is formed until you sign an attorney-client agreement with my office.

Mark as helpful


In Maryland, only "assault rifles" and handguns need to be registered if purchased by a Maryland resident. Rifles and shotguns do not need to be registered. If she had the gun before she moved to Maryland, it does not need to be registered. If she purchased the gun after she moved here it needs to be registered. However, these laws are constantly changing, and it has been a while since I have looked at them.

With that being said, if she has an unregistered firearm that she was required to register, then the police should be contacted. If you are truly fearful, you should move out, contact the police and get a peace order (also known as a "restraining order") against your roommate. An attorney can help you through the process.

I proudly serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C. My phone number is (443) 352-8517 and my email address is For more information, you can also visit my website at

Licensed in MD, PA and DC. This is not legal advice. I am not your attorney until we have mutually agreed that I am your attorney. You should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction regarding your specific circumstances.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics