My roommate does not pay her rent, can I sue her?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Detroit, MI

my roommate's and my name are both on the lease. But the landlord only accept one total rent pay check from us. So usually my roommate pay me her part of rent by cash, and I pay the landlord the whole rent through my own check. But now my roommate refused to reimbursed me for her part of rent after I paid the landlord the whole rent. What can I do to get the money back from her? Can I sue her?
If I abandon the lease too, the landlord could sue both of us. What will the worst consequence be in that case?

1. Jane Frances Rusin

Answered . If both names are on the lease then you are both liable for the rent. If you do not pay the rent and are still living there the landlord can evict you for nonpayment of rent. You can sue your roomate for the rent she owes you. Under $3000 you would sue in small claims court. Over $3000 you can sue in district court.