My roommate and I have an inquiry regarding lease termination and notice requirements in Chicago.

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

We have a 6-mo written lease with our landlord that expires today April 30. We would like to stay in unit for half of May – we have been leaving multiple voice messages with our landlord throughout April giving notice and saying we'll pay half month rent and to call us back ASAP if there's a problem. We never sent a written request. They never called us back. They finally called us today to tell us that we have to move out by tomorrow or else pay the full monthly rent amount for May as it automatically turns into a month to month agreement and we didn’t give proper 30 days notice of our request. is this true? they also did not include copy of chicago tenant ordinance at renewal.

1. Barry Cahn Boykin

2

Answered . Generally it is true that at the expiration of the terms of a written lease, a lease converts to a month-to-month tenancy. If the landlord resorts to legal action, and the landlord is subject to the Chicago ordinance (RLTO) then this may be some leverage in a counterclaim for the action. There is always some risk in going to court, so if a compromise could be arrived at, both sides would benefit.

There are a number of resources for tenant's rights...

http://lcbh.org/for-tenants/need-help/