Skip to main content

My rights for opening the door for the police

Sacramento, CA |

what are my rights if the police knock my door? should i open for them?or i have the right not to?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You have the right no not answer the door for anyone, including the police. Be aware however, if they have a valid warrant, and you don't answer they may be able to forcibly enter your home. If you are under investigation for a criminal matter, remember do not talk to them except to assert your right to an attorney. Then get a criminal defense attorney ASAP. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


Just like anyone knocking on your door, they need your permission to enter. If they knock it down, they better have a warramt.

Contributions on in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.


Only you can decide if you should open the door. But you do have the right to deny them entry. If they have a warrant, they will come in whether you deny or not. If they don't have a warrant, they could get one. As a probationer or parolee, allowing entry without a warranty be a requirement that you agreed to. In that case, not allowing entry could be a violation, resulting in your going back to jail.
Contact a criminal defense attorney to determine what your rights are.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer