My rights for opening the door for the police

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

what are my rights if the police knock my door? should i open for them?or i have the right not to?

1. Sean Michael Patrick

3

Answered . You have the right no not answer the door for anyone, including the police. Be aware however, if they have a valid warrant, and you don't answer they may be able to forcibly enter your home. If you are under investigation for a criminal matter, remember do not talk to them except to assert your right to an attorney. Then get a criminal defense attorney ASAP. Best of luck.

2. Daniel C Grupenhagen

3

Answered . Just like anyone knocking on your door, they need your permission to enter. If they knock it down, they better have a warramt.

3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . Only you can decide if you should open the door. But you do have the right to deny them entry. If they have a warrant, they will come in whether you deny or not. If they don't have a warrant, they could get one. As a probationer or parolee, allowing entry without a warranty be a requirement that you agreed to. In that case, not allowing entry could be a violation, resulting in your going back to jail.
    Contact a criminal defense attorney to determine what your rights are.