My responsibility towards my dog and another dog fighting.

Both dogs were not on a leash and had a spat resulting in the other dog suffering a dog bite from my dog which resulted in the dog dying. The owner chose to break the fight up and suffered a bite while doing so. I have paid half of the emergency vet bills and now am being contacted by an attorney. What do I need to do to cover my responsibilities?

Hayward, CA -

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Animal Law Attorney - Perris, CA

Report the incident to your homeowners' insurance company if you have one. If you don't have one, be prepared to compensate the other person for all damages that your dog did. You may want to contact an attorney for a consult as to your liability. Good luck... in California, the dog's owner is strictly liable for all damage that their dog did.

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Berkeley, CA

I do not think you can fight this on your own. Turn the case to your home insurance company.. Best of luck.

Korosh Torkzadeh

Korosh Torkzadeh

Personal Injury Lawyer - Irvine, CA

This sounds like an unfortunate event. As it has been said before, If you have home owners insurance or even renters, you should contact them. They may be able to help protect your interests.

Stephanie Erin Story

Stephanie Erin Story

Family Law Attorney - Glendale, CA

Some facts to consider: were both dogs off leash in a public area? was in on your property? are there dog leash laws that both of you were violating? My point is that there may be some mitigating circumstances that could reduce your liability that an attorney may be able to help you with. Owners are strictly liable for injuries caused by their dogs, but the owners must have been aware of the dog's "dangerous propensities". In other words, has your dog ever attacked another dog/person before? Was your dog protecting you? Did your dog start the fight or did the other dog? The more facts you can provide the better we are able to advise you. In the meantime, you should consult an attorney. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Good luck!

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Simply report it to your homeowner's insurance to sort out

Related Advice