My responsibility towards my dog and another dog fighting.

Hayward, CA |

Both dogs were not on a leash and had a spat resulting in the other dog suffering a dog bite from my dog which resulted in the dog dying. The owner chose to break the fight up and suffered a bite while doing so. I have paid half of the emergency vet bills and now am being contacted by an attorney. What do I need to do to cover my responsibilities?

1. Report the incident to your homeowners' insurance company if you have one. If you don't have one, be prepared to compensate the other person for all damages that your dog did. You may want to contact an attorney for a consult as to your liability. Good luck... in California, the dog's owner is strictly liable for all damage that their dog did.

I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

2. I do not think you can fight this on your own. Turn the case to your home insurance company.. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

3. This sounds like an unfortunate event. As it has been said before, If you have home owners insurance or even renters, you should contact them. They may be able to help protect your interests.

Under no Circumstances are the comments made on this message board meant to be legal advice or constitute an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice, seek help from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

4. Simply report it to your homeowner's insurance to sort out

5. Some facts to consider: were both dogs off leash in a public area? was in on your property? are there dog leash laws that both of you were violating? My point is that there may be some mitigating circumstances that could reduce your liability that an attorney may be able to help you with. Owners are strictly liable for injuries caused by their dogs, but the owners must have been aware of the dog's "dangerous propensities". In other words, has your dog ever attacked another dog/person before? Was your dog protecting you? Did your dog start the fight or did the other dog? The more facts you can provide the better we are able to advise you. In the meantime, you should consult an attorney. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Good luck!