My responsibility towards my dog and another dog fighting.

Asked 11 months ago - Hayward, CA

Both dogs were not on a leash and had a spat resulting in the other dog suffering a dog bite from my dog which resulted in the dog dying. The owner chose to break the fight up and suffered a bite while doing so. I have paid half of the emergency vet bills and now am being contacted by an attorney. What do I need to do to cover my responsibilities?

1. Gary Ralph Ilmanen

7

Answered . Report the incident to your homeowners' insurance company if you have one. If you don't have one, be prepared to compensate the other person for all damages that your dog did. You may want to contact an attorney for a consult as to your liability. Good luck... in California, the dog's owner is strictly liable for all damage that their dog did.

2. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

6

Answered . I do not think you can fight this on your own. Turn the case to your home insurance company.. Best of luck.

3. Korosh Torkzadeh

6

Answered . This sounds like an unfortunate event. As it has been said before, If you have home owners insurance or even renters, you should contact them. They may be able to help protect your interests.

4. Stephanie Erin Story

3

Answered . Some facts to consider: were both dogs off leash in a public area? was in on your property? are there dog leash laws that both of you were violating? My point is that there may be some mitigating circumstances that could reduce your liability that an attorney may be able to help you with. Owners are strictly liable for injuries caused by their dogs, but the owners must have been aware of the dog's "dangerous propensities". In other words, has your dog ever attacked another dog/person before? Was your dog protecting you? Did your dog start the fight or did the other dog? The more facts you can provide the better we are able to advise you. In the meantime, you should consult an attorney. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Good luck!

Pro

3

Answered . Simply report it to your homeowner's insurance to sort out