Skip to main content

My renewed H1b visa is going to expire in next year . I heard that H1b is only valid for 6 years. My company have not sponsored

Lexington, KY |

I came to US on student visa, I completed masters and filled for H1b visa, which was renewed after 3 years. But my company have not applied green card for me. What should I do now. I heard that I can not renew my H1b again. I have a US citizen Son 5 years old, Please advise my options.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You have to immediately discuss the issue with the sponsoring company's immigration attorney.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois


Your can ask your employer to sponsor you for a green card. If you have any time outside the U.S. during the past 6 years, you may be able to "recapture" this time for your 6 years. Please see

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You need to meet with an attorney as to your options. Generally, H1B status can be used for 6 years only; however if there a company that files for your green card or at least starts the process, it is possible to obtain extensions of H1B status...

New York Immigration lawyer. This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko


If the sponsoring company's legal department initiates that.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer