My realtor requires I maintain the law, but previous tenants didnt maintain, now I am regrowing.

Colorado Springs, CO |

So as the title suggests? My realtor requires me to water and maintain my lawn, however the previous tenants did nothing and now its mostly sand and tumble weeds.

I have kids so I want grass, and the yard looks terrible next to the rest of the neighborhood so I have decided to regrow the grass. Could I save receipts and charge equipment and labor for regrowing the grass? Or should I just eat the costs so as to not make my realtors upset with me since I just moved in and plan on being here a few years?

1. If you have a contract with the realtor to maintain the lawn, you need to maintain the lawn. If you plan on staying there for years, I seriously would just eat the costs and not push the issue for reseeding the lawn and growing the grass. It is a small price to pay for finding a place that you really enjoy.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

2. Charge the cost to who? The prior tenants? Unless I've missed something, you don't get to go after them. Did you see the lawn prior to entering a contract to maintain it? Lots of questions unanswered here so I can't really give you much guidance.

What I can tell you -- as has Mr. Leroi -- is that if you entered into a contract, you must live up to the contract.

Good luck! DD

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.