My question is regarding the change of status ( HOB to 1 visa ) .

Asked over 1 year ago - Eden Prairie, MN

I am Alwin and i am currently in HOB visa . I wish to peruse my graduate degree in US and i have an admit from CUM ISM program . The program starts in May , 2013 . I want to know if i can do a change of status ? I am hearing mixed responses from people . Is there any risk if i go with Change of status rather than traveling all the way back to India for getting stamped ? Please assist

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Best Answer

Answered . I assume 1 visa means F1? If it does and you did not violate the terms of your H1B visa you can definitely do COS. Remember, changing to F1 and not attending school is a direct path to deportation and the quickest one. .

2. Alena Shautsova

Pro

3

6

Answered . you need to carefully examine your options. Being on F1 visa/status will imply you are not working full time.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . There are no HOB or 1 visas in the US. If you are speaking about H-1Bs and F-1s, the fastest way to be on F-1 is to obtain an F-1 visa stamp abroad. A change of status in the US by May is unlikely.