Skip to main content

My question is regarding opening a business on F1 visa. I am currently F1 student.

Columbia, MO |

My question is regarding opening a business on f1 visa. I am currently F1 student. I am planning to open my business with a partner( citizen of USA). I am planning to invest 20% or 50% to the business. As a student, i am not allowed to work but i am eligible to receive dividends. Is it possible to obtain H1 visa to work in my bisiness when i am done with school? Can i work at my own business as a part of OPT program?

Thank you for your help.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Invest but not work and receive profits ... VERY TRICKY ... talk to a lawyer

    H visa? Highly unlikely .. .unless it is a large business with a good track record of having several other employees.

    OPT work? Maybe, talk to your foreign student adviser.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.