My question is in regards to lying on a financial affidavit by former spouse. First off, what are the penalties?

Hollywood, FL |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

This is in regards to non payment of alimony and now, modification. Former spouse submitted his financial affidavit stating he was released from his position with the federal government (20+ years), former spouse stated he has zero income. In the modification papers submitted to the court, former spouses attorney stated former spouse has not filed for unemployment or social security and wants alimony dropped based on zero income. I have a QDRO on file. I called and asked if former spouse filed for retirement and was told he filed for disability and has been receiving "interim" payments of appx 4500 per month for 3 months. FS has not paid alimony for 5 months. What are the penalties for this and should I inform my attorney. I do not want to seem as if I'm doing the legal work

You should inform your attorney about what your research and/or telephone calls uncovered.

I agree with attorney Rose regarding the fact that there is, in practice, no real "penalty" for lying on a financial affidavit.

However, you and your attorney can certainly work together to discredit former spouses' testimony (at any future hearing or trial) regarding the figures he disclosed in the "income" and "assets" section of his financial affidavit.

No communication resulting from this posting will create an attorney-client relationship. In order to create an attorney-client relationship you will need to meet with the attorney and execute a written retainer agreement. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as you have executed a retainer agreement and an attorney-client relationship has been established. Furthermore, this posting and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Assuming the affidavit is signed under oath (whiich the rules require), it's theoretically perjury, which is a third-degree felony and carries a prison sentence of up to five years. But I say "theoretically" because, over my many years as a family law attorney, I can't count the number of times I've proven that someone lied on a financial affidavit, and not once have charges been brought by the police or the State Attorney's Office.

But, yes, you should inform your attorney.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

Thank you for your quick respone! no no, I wouldn't want any perjury charges, it's more of a "trust" issue and how credible FS is.

I agree with Attorney Rose.

JMP Law, P.A.
Juna M. Pulayya

Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about my qualifications and experience. Transmission of the information in this web site is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Divorce