My question is can the DA offer me a deal ,if I am claiming my innoccents of a crime. How long can he be keep in jail ?

Asked about 2 years ago - Huntsville, TX

My son has not been indicted for this alegged crime that he committed June 2012. They have no physical evidence only a so called wittness.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 7

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If he has been in jail more than 90 days without being indicted, then he is (for most situations) entitled to a PR bond or bond he can make. Talk with his lawyer about this. (Although, I often find that people are mistaken about whether or not they are indicted because it is not something that the accused is usually involved in.)

    The DA offers deals because they do not believe the accused is innocent.

    No physical evidence is necessary to convict someone of a crime. If a jury believes a witness beyond a reasonable doubt, that is enough.

    Cynthia Henley

  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The crime your son is being charged with depends on if he can be released on bail. In Alabama, every crime, except capital murder, requires the Judge to grant a reasonable bond.

    This, as well as him being given an attorney if he cannot afford one, should happen in the first week of your son being arrested.

    As to the offer by the DA, he is allowed to make an offer and it is at your son's discretion as to if he wants to accept it. Maybe I am messing something, but I find it odd that the DA has already made your son an offer before the initial stage of him being given representation and being given a change at getting out on bail.

    Nevertheless, I’m terribly sorry about you son’s situation and hope that you are able to get the representation that any all defendants rightfully deserve. My advice would be to find an experienced criminal defense attorney in your city to represent your son.

    Brett Knight’s response to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Knight... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
    ---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( ) ----------------------------------------

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Witnesses are evidence. With the exception of capital murder a person is entitled to a personal bond if they have been in jail more than 90 days without being indicted.

    Austin Jail Release Lawyer

    My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client... more

Related Topics

Felony crime

A felony is a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Certain especially severe felonies may be punishable by the death sentence.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,476 answers this week

3,603 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,476 answers this week

3,603 attorneys answering