My question is can i retire while on workers comp ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Flat Rock, MI

i live in Flat Rock, Mi. I have been a teamster truck driver and warehouse worker for 40 years got injured at work had surgery on shoulder and am ready to retire. shoulder is still injured

1. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . Yes you can but it may impact your Worker's Compensation Case. You really need to go through all pro's and con's with a Worker Comp attorney.

2. John M Connell

Pro

4

Answered . I suggest that you have An attorney to assist you with your case. The injury can be a factor in how you handle the retirement so that it benefits you. Talk to an attorney experienced in workers compensation before you tell anyone you want to retire

3. James M. Clancy

Pro

4

Answered . Do not retire until you speak to a Michigan attorney specializing in Comp. By removing yourself from the work force you my be waiving benefits and rights that you would otherwise be entitled to.

4. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

4

Answered . Consult a local Workers' Compensation Attorney BEFORE you retire. In many jurisdictions, it could significantly reduce your recovery under a wage differential theory.

5. Kurt Matthew Young

4

Answered . I will join the chorus. Under Ohio Law, if you take an age or seniority based retirement, you pretty much forfeit all ongoing monetary benefits to replace wages on your claim. If you take disability retirement, you do not. But each state is different. Contact a qualified Michigan Workers' Compensation Attorney and they can guide you.