My question is can a company ask what your salary requirements are if they do not tell you what the job is offering??

Parsippany, NJ |

When filling out an application employers are always asking what your salary requirements are without you know what the job is offering. They are also saying that if you do not provide that information to them, then your application will not be considered.

Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, yes, a potential employer can require that information. You may consider it an abuse of their superior bargaining position, but there is no law against it.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or telephone number.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
Employment, Business and Health Law
One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
(610) 660-5585
Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
www.ezoldlaw.com

Answered 8 months ago. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Federal law apply, unless otherwise specified. /Christopher E. Ezold/ The Ezold Law Firm, P.C. One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501 Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 (610) 660-5585 Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com www.ezoldlaw.com

Sure they can. No point in considering someone for a $30K job when they are looking for a $60K job.

Not legal advice, just my two cents. Consult NJ counsel if you need legal advice. I practice in Vermont ONLY.

As both of my colleagues have stated, yes, employers may freely ask this. There is nothing illegal about ascertaining how someone values themselves and the job you are seeking to fill. Many times this question acts both as a screen against people who overvalue themselves but just as important employers want to know if someone undervalues themselves. It's a tricky proposition for applicants but it is simply part of the hiring process and you would be best served by developing a strategy to deal with this question on future applications.