My question is: Is there a description in any law in FLORIDA that describes properly fastened seat belt?

Tampa, FL |
Filed under: Traffic tickets

Florida Seat Belt Law 316 . 314 ( 4 ) ( b ) specifically states : ( 3 ) As used in this section : ( b ) safety Beltran means a seat belt assembly that meets the requirements established under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No . 208 , 49 C . F . R . s . 571 . 208 . ( c ) unrestrained by a safety Beltran means being restricted by an appropriately adjusted safety belt which is properly fastened at all times when a motor vehicle is in motion . ( 4 ) It is unlawful for any person : ( a ) To operate a motor vehicle in this state unless each passenger and the operator of the vehicle under the age of 18 years are restrained by a safety belt or by a child restraint device pursuant to s . 316 . 613 , if applicable ; or ( b ) To operate a motor vehicle in this state unless the person is restrained by a safety belt .

1. I'm going to guess that the belt has to be used how it was designed to be used. Thus, drawn across your body and latched using the provided latching mechanism.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs. www.figgardenlaw.com

2. It must be worn across lap and across the chest as designed. If you get caught without a properly belted seat belt (even if you have it partially on) you will be ticketed.

3. As a practical matter, seat belt violations are almost always upheld by the Traffic court judge in central florida unless you have a valid defense like a health issue. . .or if your vehicle was at a complete stop when the allegation was witnessed.

4. Pull it across your chest and snap it in, just as the manufacturer intended. There are certain medical exemptions and exemptions for vehicles manufactured prior to the implementation of the federal safety standard, but other than that, it's all common sense.

Avvo.com answers provided solely for informational purposes. Answers are not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. If you are seeking legal advice, contact a competent attorney in your local jurisdiction. Learn more about my practice at www.drivenlegal.com.

Traffic tickets topics