My question is, do I have the legal responsibility to get involved in this dispute?

Asked over 1 year ago - El Cajon, CA

I have a small home in El Cajon, Ca. that I have rented to a middle aged couple for 10 years. In the last 2 years, the wife has been in a disagreement with the people in the house next door. In last year, it has gotten so bad that the neighbor has filed for and received a restraining order against my tenant. The neighbor today called me to say she will be taking me to court if I do not evict the tenants as the problem in her mind has not stopped. My question is, do I have the legal responsibility to get involved in this dispute?

1. Kamala Maddipoti

1

Answered . I agree with previous attorney. As long as you didn't rent your premises for any illegal activity or so, I don't see any problem.

2. Barry Franklin Poulson

1

Answered . Such a lawsuit would be extremely unusual. And, the neighbors have committed the tort (private wrong, not a crime) of tortious interference with a contractual relationship. It might be worth your time to consult with local counsel just to have all of your ducks in a row. Avoid this dispute!