My question is : Can a granddaughter sponsor her Grandmother? If possible, How long does it take to bring her to the U.S?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

My grandmother lives in Honduras. She is getting sick and she needs to see a doctor here, all her family is here. My dad is a resident, but is not legally a U.S Citizen. He has two wait 2 years to become a citizen. I wanted to know what can happen I want to help I have a great job and I would love to help my grandmother as soon as possible. If you can please respond to me, at my email which is please respond to my email. I would love to know. Thanks.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Marc Damien Sean Taylor


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . My colleagues are correct, you cannot sponsor your grandmother.

    Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC,, 888-645-6272, , 224 W. 4th Street,... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Sorry, there is no granddaughter/grandmother category.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Karen-Lee Pollak

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No you cannot sponsor your grandmother.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Sponsoring an immigrant to the United States

Petitioning for, or sponsoring, an immigrant allows you to help a relative immigrate to the United States, if certain conditions are met.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,516 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,516 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering