My question concerns age discrimination during the job application and interviewing process.

Asked about 2 years ago - Rochester, NY

1.) Is it legal for an employer to refuse acceptance of a job application because the application does not contain the date I graduated from college? Note: the application and the refusal are being done online: The company's online application system refuses to allow me to "Submit" my application without first adding the date I graduated from college.

2.) Is it legal for any interviewer to ask me the date I graduated from college?

1. Vincent Peter White

1

Answered . Unfortunately many industries believe that less-current education has less value. An engineer with a degree 5 years out of date is unfortunately believed to be less "on top of" the current industry cutting edge unless they have been working in the interim.

That is probably why your employer is demanding a graduation date, I do not see a viable claim here.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . The request for your degree date is perfectly proper and not unlawful to require. The currency of your education has nothing to do with your age.