My question concerns age discrimination during the job application and interviewing process.

Rochester, NY |

1.) Is it legal for an employer to refuse acceptance of a job application because the application does not contain the date I graduated from college? Note: the application and the refusal are being done online: The company's online application system refuses to allow me to "Submit" my application without first adding the date I graduated from college.

2.) Is it legal for any interviewer to ask me the date I graduated from college?

The request for your degree date is perfectly proper and not unlawful to require. The currency of your education has nothing to do with your age.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Unfortunately many industries believe that less-current education has less value. An engineer with a degree 5 years out of date is unfortunately believed to be less "on top of" the current industry cutting edge unless they have been working in the interim.

That is probably why your employer is demanding a graduation date, I do not see a viable claim here.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.