My previous landlord is ignoring my emails and phone calls for utility charge for the new tenant. What can I do?

San Diego, CA |

I moved out on 12/27 and the new tenant moved in on 12/30. The utility company wasn't able to transfer the bill until early January to the new tenant. However, the company did separate the bill after 12/27. I have emailed and called my previous landlord but he has been ignoring all my messages. What can I do?

1. From the facts as you've stated, you likely have no recourse against the landlord and you would need to either contact the utility company for a credit or the new tenant to recoup the amount owed, however, it is very unlikely you will receive reimbursement for this.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established..