Skip to main content

My political asylum in still in process in the court. my visa is expired. Am i eligible for the coming immigration reform?

Rosemead, CA |
Filed under: Political asylum

I came here to US in january 2008 as an student. Because of the political instability and threat to the family, i couldn't continue my study and i applied for the political asylum. My case went to court and its going on. My visa expired in december of 2012. I dont have work permit either. In this case, will i be the part of immigration reform that is said to take place in near future or my case will be decided by the court?

Attorney Answers 2


See links below:

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful


There is no reform bill in Congress yet. Therefore it is impossible and inappropriate to speculate on whether or not you'd be eligible for any benefit. Prepare the asylum case as if reform was not going to occur. That is the most pragmatic position to take as it protects your current right to be here. If reform hits, your lawyer will certainly be able to help you.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics