My picture is on the sex offender registry.

Hudson, FL |

I was adult who was sentence under the youthful offender act and my paperwork states Juvenile case. In July 1 a law was passed in Florida that will require even juveniles to have the picture and info shown to the public on FDLE. Here's what part of the law states " The new sex offender law in Florida went into effect on July 1, 2007. Under the law, juvenile sex offenders convicted after July 1 will be listed right along with the adults are now listed in the state sex offender registry. " how come my info is available ? when I was convicted under the youthful offender act 5 months prior to this new law.

Also when I try to look up my record within the Pasco county courthouse nothing shows up about my sex offense just traffic tickets.

1. A juvenile is anyone under the age of 18. If you were convicted under the youthful offender act, which applies to adult offenders between the ages of 18 to 21, then you may qualify under a different section of the sex offender statute. See 943.0435, Florida Statutes (reprinted in part below). The section you mentioned only applies to juveniles who have been found delinquent. Sub-subparagraph d does not apply to adults. You may consult a lawyer who can assist you with a petition for removal from the registry although they are rarely granted.

“Sexual offender” means a person who meets the criteria in sub-subparagraph a., sub-subparagraph b., sub-subparagraph c., or sub-subparagraph d., as follows:
    a.(I) Has been convicted of committing, or attempting, soliciting, or conspiring to commit, any of the criminal offenses proscribed in the following statutes in this state or similar offenses in another jurisdiction: s. 787.01, s. 787.02, or s. 787.025(2)(c), where the victim is a minor and the defendant is not the victim’s parent or guardian; s. 787.06(3)(b), (d), (f), (g), or (h); s. 794.011, excluding s. 794.011(10); s. 794.05; s. 796.03; s. 796.035; s. 800.04; s. 810.145(8); s. 825.1025; s. 827.071; s. 847.0133; s. 847.0135, excluding s. 847.0135(6); s. 847.0137; s. 847.0138; s. 847.0145; or s. 985.701(1); or any similar offense committed in this state which has been redesignated from a former statute number to one of those listed in this sub-sub-subparagraph; and
    (II) Has been released on or after October 1, 1997, from the sanction imposed for any conviction of an offense described in sub-sub-subparagraph (I). For purposes of sub-sub-subparagraph (I), a sanction imposed in this state or in any other jurisdiction includes, but is not limited to, a fine, probation, community control, parole, conditional release, control release, or incarceration in a state prison, federal prison, private correctional facility, or local detention facility;
    b. Establishes or maintains a residence in this state and who has not been designated as a sexual predator by a court of this state but who has been designated as a sexual predator, as a sexually violent predator, or by another sexual offender designation in another state or jurisdiction and was, as a result of such designation, subjected to registration or community or public notification, or both, or would be if the person were a resident of that state or jurisdiction, without regard to whether the person otherwise meets the criteria for registration as a sexual offender;
    c. Establishes or maintains a residence in this state who is in the custody or control of, or under the supervision of, any other state or jurisdiction as a result of a conviction for committing, or attempting, soliciting, or conspiring to commit, any of the criminal offenses proscribed in the following statutes or similar offense in another jurisdiction: s. 787.01, s. 787.02, or s. 787.025(2)(c), where the victim is a minor and the defendant is not the victim’s parent or guardian; s. 787.06(3)(b), (d), (f), (g), or (h); s. 794.011, excluding s. 794.011(10); s. 794.05; s. 796.03; s. 796.035; s. 800.04; s. 810.145(8); s. 825.1025; s. 827.071; s. 847.0133; s. 847.0135, excluding s. 847.0135(6); s. 847.0137; s. 847.0138; s. 847.0145; or s. 985.701(1); or any similar offense committed in this state which has been redesignated from a former statute number to one of those listed in this sub-subparagraph;

This is general advice and not intended to form an attorney-client relationship.

2. You may have been a juvenile when the crime occurred but you were prosecuted as an adult otherwise you wouldn't have been given the youthful offender status. A youthful offender is any person Who is at least 18 years of age or a juvenile who has been transferred out of Juvenile Court for prosecution to the adult criminal division of the circuit court and who otherwise meets the criteria for Youthful Offender. Because you were sentenced as a Youthful Offender and not as a Juvenile, you are subject to the adult sanctions of a sexual offender.

3. The other attorney is correct. Even if you committed this act when you were a juvenile, the fact that you were given a YO sentence means that the State direct filed on you and you were not charged in juvenile court. So, you are subject to all consequences that an adult would be.

Juvenile law topics