My PI negotiations have now went from the paralegal to the attorney directly. Is this a good sign?

Rockmart, GA |

MVA 2012 suv crossed two lanes of traffic and hit my car. I have have lost a year of work have to have surgery acdf. My medical bills are over 40k with another 80k coming soon from acdf and lost wages of 80k

The attorney I am referencing is my pi attorney I was initially told the paralegal was dealing with the insurance company. Last month when I contacted my attorneys office;I was told my attorney is dealing with the insurance company directly

1. Do you mean your attorney or the defense attorney. Either way, I wouldn't necessarily interpret it as bad or good for your chances of recovery. In my practice, all personal injury settlement negotiations are done by the attorney, me. You will want an attorney handling all aspects of your case, no matter the value.

*Attorney Thomas Andrew Miller (678-907-3600) provided this Reply which is intended to be helpful to the Asker and the Avvo Community, but it does not constitute legal advice and does not create any attorney-client relationship. You are urged to seek the advice of an attorney or, in some cases, a tax professional, before taking any action. **Was this Answer helpful? Please click to give the Answer a Helpful Vote or make it the Best Answer!

2. Agree with Attorney Miller. Perhaps you should schedule a meeting with you lawyer. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

3. Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking whether it is a good sign that your own attorney is now talking to you, as opposed to just his paralegal? Yes, if your attorney is talking to you - that's a good sign...

For more information, contact us at Fareesh@SarangiLaw.com or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.

4. I can't tell whose office you are referring to but it is not necessarily a sign of anything. Either way this is a question for your attorney.

5. It is not entirely clear from your question what you are referring to. If the paralegal for your attorney has been negotiating a settlement on your behalf, that could be a serious problem. The attorney should be the only one negotiating a potential settlement on your behalf. If you are referring to communications between your attorney's office and yourself, then the attorney becoming more directly involved is always a good sign. If you are unsure of what is going on or why, try to talk directly with your attorney and address your concerns. If you are not satisfied with his/her explanation, consider the possibility of seeking a second opinion. Good luck to you!

6. It is much better

7. I have never allowed a paralegal to conduct substantial negotiations on a case. You might as well have just hired a licensed public adjuster rather than an attorney. Regarding your question, it does not ask a legal issue so I cannot answer it.

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you by attorney Robert G. Rothstein (404) 216-1422 for educational and informational purposes only.No attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate Best Answer to Avvo. Thank you.

8. Paralegals should NEVER be doing negotiations. In a case this big, that's especially a bad idea.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

9. Why are you paying attorneys fees to have a paralegal do your negotiations? You hired a lawyer; a lawyer should be doing all substantive work on your case and nothing is more substantive than negotiations.