My PI negotiations have now went from the paralegal to the attorney directly. Is this a good sign?

Asked about 1 year ago - Rockmart, GA

MVA 2012 suv crossed two lanes of traffic and hit my car. I have have lost a year of work have to have surgery acdf. My medical bills are over 40k with another 80k coming soon from acdf and lost wages of 80k

The attorney I am referencing is my pi attorney I was initially told the paralegal was dealing with the insurance company. Last month when I contacted my attorneys office;I was told my attorney is dealing with the insurance company directly

1. Thomas Andrew Miller

8

Answered . Do you mean your attorney or the defense attorney. Either way, I wouldn't necessarily interpret it as bad or good for your chances of recovery. In my practice, all personal injury settlement negotiations are done by the attorney, me. You will want an attorney handling all aspects of your case, no matter the value.

2. Fareesh S. Sarangi

Pro

6

Answered . Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking whether it is a good sign that your own attorney is now talking to you, as opposed to just his paralegal? Yes, if your attorney is talking to you - that's a good sign...

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

5

Answered . Agree with Attorney Miller. Perhaps you should schedule a meeting with you lawyer. Good luck.

4. C. Jeffrey Kaufman

Pro

3

Answered . It is not entirely clear from your question what you are referring to. If the paralegal for your attorney has been negotiating a settlement on your behalf, that could be a serious problem. The attorney should be the only one negotiating a potential settlement on your behalf. If you are referring to communications between your attorney's office and yourself, then the attorney becoming more directly involved is always a good sign. If you are unsure of what is going on or why, try to talk directly with your attorney and address your concerns. If you are not satisfied with his/her explanation, consider the possibility of seeking a second opinion. Good luck to you!

Pro

3

Answered . It is much better

6. Robert G. Rothstein

1

Answered . I have never allowed a paralegal to conduct substantial negotiations on a case. You might as well have just hired a licensed public adjuster rather than an attorney. Regarding your question, it does not ask a legal issue so I cannot answer it.

7. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

1

Answered . Paralegals should NEVER be doing negotiations. In a case this big, that's especially a bad idea.

8. David Ian Schoen

Pro

1

Answered . I can't tell whose office you are referring to but it is not necessarily a sign of anything. Either way this is a question for your attorney.

9. Jonathan Craig Reed

Pro

Answered . Why are you paying attorneys fees to have a paralegal do your negotiations? You hired a lawyer; a lawyer should be doing all substantive work on your case and nothing is more substantive than negotiations.