My PI got an offer 24000 to settle my claim, my bills are 20000. After PI takes his, I wont have much left. What can I do?

Boynton Beach, FL |

it was a not at fault accident and I have about 20,000 in medical bills and I had an out of state auto policy at the time of accident with only 2,000 in PIP coverage. The lawyer has finally got a offer of 24,000
but after his 33.3 % there isn't much left. They said they will try to get the bills reduced? How much should I expect to be reduced? The lawyer sent me to a doctor that was at the time of my treatment arrested for fraud for chasing people at accidents scenes .Can I ask the lawyer to reduce his fee?

1. You already have an attorney, and this deals with issues that he or she would know best. You need to talk to your attorney about your concerns. That is why you hire them.
    Also, be very careful, because putting information about your case out in public like this can really hurt your case if you decide to not accept that offer and put the case into litigation.

No attorney-client relationship is intended by this answer.

2. Sit down with your lawyer and talk over the issues. Yes, you can always ask.

3. There has to be a reason why the settlement offer is so low with medical bills at 20k. Ask your lawyer to explain why- don't get defensive when he tells you all the problems with the case, just listen, and then see if you two can figure out a way around the problems. Sometimes when there are a lot of medical bills and there is either a limited policy (don't know here) or the case has too many problems to take to trial, lawyers can arrange for a reduction in the medical bills. The doctor, the lawyer, and you can split it three ways, that seems reasonable to me.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

4. That's not good. It is your decision whether to settle or not. The attorney should be able to knock at least a third off your bills and maybe pay nothing to the doctor he sent you to. If you do not feel that the gross amount is fair. Do not settle. But you should have your attorney explain to you in a way you can understand why it is better to settle.

5. it is hard to say. you need to sit down with your lawyer and have him or her explain to you why they can not get more to resolve case. Listen to the pros and cons and then determine what is right for you. we do not know enough about your case to offer you an opinion on value. I am sorry.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. 407-588-6714 bill@thelawman.net

6. As the other attorneys have explained, you need to discuss your concerns with your current automobile accident attorney to review your options and why the settlement offer may not cover all of your medical expenses. That being said, you can always seek a second opinion from another experienced top notch auto accident attorney. I wish you the best of luck.

7. yes, you can ask the lawyer to reduce his fee. More importantly, if the doctor was arrested for fraud, then all his medical bills should be waived.

8. The best person to discuss this with is your attorney; that's why you are (or will be) paying him. I am a little confused as to why you only have $2,000.00 in PIP when the required amount is $10,000.00. Regarding the medical bills, they can always be reduced, but I'm going to go on a different route than other attorneys here concerning the bills from the doctor that was arrested for fraud. While it may be a little easier to negotiate the bills with this doctor, the fact is that arrest does not mean conviction. Talk to your lawyer about this as well.

9. Have the lawyer reduce his fee or don't sign off on the settlement. Also, don't sign off until the liens are negotiated down to pennies on the dollar.

10. Sometimes the fee reductions can be significant. If the lawyer is asking the doctors to lower their fee then you can also ask your attorney to consider lowering their fee. However, you should know that they are not obligated to do so. If you are truly unhappy with the final net amount to you in the settlement then you should talk to your attorney about the possibility of bringing a lawsuit against the defendant. A lawsuit will have a chance at getting you a larger net amount but then you take the risk of getting nothing. I hope this helps in your discussion with your attorney.

11. The attorneys who recommended you discuss this with your attorney, and not publish your concerns gave you the most proper responses. To answer your question, all bills can be negotiated, and a doctor who is in trouble is likely to be very generous in their negotiations with you. Your lawyer will present you with a closing statement that shows payment of negotiated medical bills and your net settlement. If it meets your expectations, you sign it and the case is closed. If you do not accept the bottom line, you can reject the settlement. I am sure you and your attorney can work this out.