Skip to main content

My petition to seal my record was denied because the offense is listed as on in section 707 (b)WIC is there anything I can do?

Bell, CA |

It was a bogus case, I was charged with stealing a hat from someone when I was in high school. (17 years old at the time) Violation #211PC. I took a plea deal that my public defender got me, and he assured me that I could get my record sealed when I asked him before I took the deal. I am a college student who is doing really good now, a GPA of 3.7, so this news that my record isn't going to be sealed just kills me. With this on my record, I fear that my efforts at a degree are for nothing since I won't be able to get my dream job with this on my record. Is there anything I can do to get my record sealed? This was also the first time I have ever been in trouble with the police and the first time arrested.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There is, but it takes time. A juvenile record under Welfare & Institutions Code section 707(b), such as a 211, is eligible for sealing and destruction when you reach age 38. Yes, this is quite some time for you, but you are not left with this on your record for life.


You can't seal juvenile strikes

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia



am I able to do something about my public defender telling me I will be able to seal my record before taking the plea deal, If I knew I wouldn't be able to seal my record, I would have fought the charges.

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis


Possibly a motion to set aside your admission to the adjudication. Best to hire a private attorney for this.


Disclosing it and explaining it might allow a licensing agency to overlook it. All of us men were silly as teenagers.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer