Skip to main content

My past attorney is not refunding my money back.He took $11,000 and did nothing .How can I get my money back

Whittier, CA |

I hired a lawyer year back.On the last hearing he was asked by the judge to pass a motion to re open discovery as getting a new trial date does not reopen discovery automatically.I had been urging him to do so but he did not responded back to my emails for almost 6 months when I decided to fire him.And when I wrnt myself ,the Judge denied my motion to compel the deposition of my wife on the grounds that my "previous" attorney did not file that motion.I was very mad and confronted with the lawyer.I also gave him negative reviews on the websites.First he told he will write an agreement and then return my money.Agreement is that I will not post any negative reviews against him.Now for those negative posts he wants to take a legal action against me.I need my money back.Can I complain to state

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You have three choices, IMO. Enter into the proposed agreement with your attorney, negotiate a different one, or institute fee arbitration proceedings. Since this appears to be a simple fee dispute which may result in litigation, while you may certainly file a complaint with the State Bar, I strongly doubt the Bar will take any action.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

  2. If he will refund your money in exchange for taking down the negative postings, that would seem to be the best deal for you. Anything else would result in more litigation than it is worth. And what attorney would take your case when you are posting negative comments about your old attorney? He most likely would not be successful in taking action against you for negative posts if what you are saying is true. But you would have to spend more money fighting it. Just take the deal.

  3. Fee arbitration.

  4. The agreement proposed by the attorney is absolutely inappropriate and against public policy / free speech and has nothing to do with returning unearned fees. The attorney is mandated to inform and offer you fee arbitration. You may also report the attorney to the State Bar.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics