Skip to main content

My partner was caught twice in the country illegally can we still fight his deportation and keep him in the u.s

Lawrenceville, GA |

My partner was caught twice in this country illegally both times for driving without a license he has no felonys he was first brought into the country by his parents illegally at the age of 13 first time he was deported he was 24 while in Mexico he was threaten by man who are members of a cartel he had to sneak out of his town for safety reasons and then made his way back to the u.s illegally we are not married but we do have two young children who comprehend what is going on and i believe this will cause them psychological harm i also am also affected by this we live and love each other just as if we were married it will be a hardship for me and my kids if they were to deport him again he is the one who financially supports our family and for most the one who makes us whole please help

(He has no type of affiliation with the cartel he was being extorted by them demanding money from him which is also why i didn't go to Mexico to marry him out of fear can that be used as a defense??) and also what I would like to know is if there is any type of law that can help him stay in the country for the well being of our sons and if so what would i need to prove that my sons will go threw hardship if their father were to be deported again. He was not punished the first time he was deported they didn't give him a ten year ban can that also be use in his defense??

Attorney Answers 4

  1. he might be eligible for deferred action if he was under 30 on june 15th of last year. if it has been ten years since he was sent back then he might be eligible for cancellation of removal he is a person of good moral character, and can show extreme hardship to you and the kids. suerte

    The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A complete answer takes an in depth interview. After all, it is a life that is at stake. If you are in another city that I do not service ask me and I might be able to recommend you an attorney there. In general, in Houston, I recommend Adan Vega or Bruce Coane, Specialists. In Dallas I recommend Richard Fernandez, Elizabeth Cedillo or Yong Wood as highly skilled and experienced. In South Texas I recommend Jodi Goodwin from Harlengin or Leonel Perez of Edinburg. In San Antonio I recommend Bob or Nancy Shivers or drive to Austin to see me or my talented associate Jacqueline Watson.

  2. Best to discuss this in person with a qualified lawyer.

  3. If your partner was ordered deported by an immigration court when he was 24 he has 2 problems. First, automatic reinstatement of the prior order of removal; that is, if he is caught again by immigration they will deport him without giving him a chance to appear in immigration court. Second, re-entering illegally after a prior deportation makes you permanently inadmissible to the US. That means your marrying him and filing a petition will not help him. He might be eligible for something called withholding of removal based on his problem with the cartel. This will get him a work permit but not much else. He really needs to talk over his case with a good lawyer.

    This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is for informational purposes only. Before acting on this information you should discuss your problem with an immigration attorney.

  4. He is ineligible for deferred action because his deportation at age 24 broke the continuous residence requirement and his re-entry was not as a childhood arrival. You need to consult with an attorney to explore other available options.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics