Skip to main content

My partner and I are splitting up. He has called the police on me and I moved out of the house.

Schaumburg, IL |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

some of my possessions have been returned but not all. Specifically a computer I purchased. My name is on the registration. i.e. Cindy's computer. However, he told them it was a gift and they wouldn't allow me to take it. It was not. I allowed him to use it so he set up his user account on it but that's all. I purchased it in cash and I can't find the receipt. I have an appointment with the police to walk me into the home to gather the rest of my personal items. How do I get my computer back or at the very least get access to it so I can get my work files. At the very least, If the police won't let me take it can I report it stolen while i'm there and have the police take it as evidence? Please help.

Attorney Answers 1


The police will work with you IF you can provide a receipt for purchase, in my experience. Without it, you will not be allowed to remove the computer nor any files without the agreement of the former partner.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics