Skip to main content

My parents were deported 6 years ago and I am now going to turn 21. My question is how long will it take for them to come back?

Carrollton, TX |

I spoke to a immigration officer a year ago and he told me that if it was there first time getting deported then they only have a 5 year bar that they have to compelte. Is that true?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You should consult with an immigration attorney. It would depend on the reasons for their removal. Many attorneys offer free consultations. Shop around. Find one with whom you are comfortable working.

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


We would need additional information concerning their case such as grounds for removal. even if oyu sponsor htem they will have ot apply for a waiver.


Probably another 4 years. They also have a 10 year bar.


Depends on why they were deported and how long it takes to obtain the necessary waivers.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Generally speaking when one is deported the period of inadmissibility is 10 years, but there are exceptions to this rule. The answer to your question, however, really depends on why your parents were deported. If they were unlawfully present in the U.S. in excess of 1 year prior to their deportation they they are inadmissible for 10 years and will require a waiver of inadmissibility. This requires that they have a parent or spouse who is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. Children such as yourself do not qualify.

Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the case in detail and advise you of the optons available and advise you how best to proceed.

Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq.
Board Certified Immigration Attorney
Devore Law Group, P.A.
2925 PGA Blvd., Suite 204
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Telephone: (561) 478-5353
Facsimile: (561) 478-2144
Skype: jeffrey.a.devore

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer