My parents want to do an addendum to their wills in Florida should it be titled Addendum to Last Will and Testament or Cordicil?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

My parents want to do an addendum to their wills in Florida should it be titled "First Addendum to Last Will and Testament of john Doe published June 10th, 2000" or "First Cordicil to(for) the Last Will And Testament of John Doe which is dated June 10th, 2000"
I John Doe on this date October 14th, 2012, in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, (zip), located in Broward County, being of sound mind, memory and of my on free will make, ordain, publish and declare this to be an addendum to my or (Codicil) for my Last Will and Testament published on June 10th, 2000, herby revoking all prior (addendums) or (cordicils) and will effect only the areas listed : Which are Section (Second, Third and Fourth in their entirety and to be changed to read as stated:
Second : (body of second)
Third: ect
Fourth): ect

1. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

8

1

Answered . To respond tot he question, the proper term is "Codicil".

My colleagues are correct--have a lawyer prepare the codicil, or better yet, do a new will altogether, so that everything is in one document. What happens if the will is located but the codicil is lost?

2. Peter Vincent Arcese

10

Answered . Codicils generally require the same formalities as a complete Will to be effective. And with document assembly software, an attorney who concentrates in estate planning may be able to provide an updated Will for little additional cost. It's a good idea to have a Will reviewed every few years, and especially if a Will is over ten years old it is worth hiring an attorney.

3. James P. Frederick

9

Answered . In order to insure that this document is valid and enforceable, it should be prepared by an attorney. This is basic estate planning and it should not be expensive. If it is not worth $200 for a Will, how do you justify the thousands of dollars in expense to fix the problems, down the road?

James Frederick

4. Gary A Kester

9

Answered . Why not just have the attorney that drafted the will in the first place revise it.

5. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . Why not have your parents consider a living trust.
    The minimum probate fee in our office is $2500 plus costs
    and can be avoided with a properly funded trust.
    The cost of a trust can be less that the costs of filing a probate case, .advertising, and the
    cost of bonding-not to mention the attorney fee.