My parents recently have discovered that they have bed bugs in their apartment. First, is the landlord responsible for the cost

In addition to cost who pays for the dry cleaning, clean up since my parents are disabled and are not able to afford or do any of that work

1. Generally, landlords are responsible from removing/preventing vermin, including bed bugs. Civil Code 1941 and 1941.1.

2. Landlords are responsible for pest control. Request they perform pest control in writing. Also if your parents have personal injuries they may be able to recover money from the landlords under a premises liability theory. According to the California Department of Health Services, bed bugs do not transmit disease to humans. They do, however, cause red, itchy bites and rashes. Scratching bed bug bites can lead to secondary skin infections. Tenants who live with bed bugs often report emotional distress and sleep deprivation as a result of the bed bugs. If your parents have injuries, such as these, help them to seek medical attention, document their injuries and seek advice from a personal injury attorney.

Answers I provide on Avvo are for informational purposes only and do not create an attorney client relationship. I would be happy to discuss your case with you further. Provided we mutally agree that I should represent you, an attorney client relationship will be formed after a cleared conflicts check and execution of a written retainer agreement. I hope the information I have provided is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact me at 818-334-4409 or erin@strattelaw.com.

3. I agree with my colleagues. You will need to hire a personal injury attorney and request pest control from the landlord in writing. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

4. As long as the cause of the bed bugs isn't anything you did, then yes, the landlord is responsible for their removal. I would advise your parents to contact the housing authority to have them examine and cite the landlords regarding the bed bugs. If your parents have suffered any physical injuries that are directly attributable to the bed bugs, they can then recover for that. Also, you should have your parents notify the landlords about the bed bugs in writing. If they do not resolve the issue within thirty days, your parents have the right to lower the amount they pay in monthly rent until the bed bug issue is resolved.