My parents have Green Card. If living outside the US, how frequently do we have to travel to US to maintain our Green Card.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tallahassee, FL

Dear Sir/Madam,
My parents got Green card under F3 category(married sons and daughters of U.S citizens). They came to US received the Card and SSN, now they are planning to go back to India because of my brothers studies. My question is how long can they stay outside the US or how frequently they have to travel to US in order to maintain their Green Card.
Please advice,
Thank you

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

2

Answered . If you want to maintain your permanent residence, you should be living in the U.S. and be physically presence in the U.S. at least 50% of the time.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. They need to be in the U.S. at least 50% of the time. However, other factors may be considered in abandonment cases, so you may want to consult with an immigration attorney to ensure that your parents are otherwise maintaining sufficient ties to the U.S. They should also be aware that even if they may get to keep their green card, staying outside of the U.S. for too long may make them ineligible for citizenship. This an often overlooked factor that should be considered.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . If they have the green card, they must live the majority of the time IN the US. Otherwise, they will eventually lose the green card.