My parents have Green Card. If living outside the US, how frequently do we have to travel to US to maintain our Green Card.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tallahassee, FL

Dear Sir/Madam,
My parents got Green card under F3 category(married sons and daughters of U.S citizens). They came to US received the Card and SSN, now they are planning to go back to India because of my brothers studies. My question is how long can they stay outside the US or how frequently they have to travel to US in order to maintain their Green Card.
Please advice,
Thank you

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you want to maintain your permanent residence, you should be living in the U.S. and be physically presence in the U.S. at least 50% of the time.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

    Contributor Level 16


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. They need to be in the U.S. at least 50% of the time. However, other factors may be considered in abandonment cases, so you may want to consult with an immigration attorney to ensure that your parents are otherwise maintaining sufficient ties to the U.S. They should also be aware that even if they may get to keep their green card, staying outside of the U.S. for too long may make them ineligible for citizenship. This an often overlooked factor that should be considered.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If they have the green card, they must live the majority of the time IN the US. Otherwise, they will eventually lose the green card.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,733 answers this week

3,041 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,733 answers this week

3,041 attorneys answering