My parents are having a really bad argument. Should i call the police to make them stop?

Asked about 2 years ago - Falls Church, VA

It has been going since last night and I just want them to stop. There was a little minor hitting but it wasn't bad. If I call the police are they going to go to jail? I don't want that to happen. I just want them to understand that it has to stop. Please help me and Thanks in advance.

1. Gregory Casale

2

Best Answer

Answered . Sadly, in most states if you call the police because your parents are fighting, there is a good chance that at least one of them will be going to jail. That does not necessarily mean you should not call, but you should understand the potential ramifications before you take any action. Speak to an adult that you can trust. Be careful of who you select since people in positions such as teachers and medical personal may be required by law to report issues of some forms of abuse. A clergy member or family member are good options.

2. Daphne Lori Macklin

1

Answered . Domestic violence is violence. You need to discuss your situation with a trusted adult counselor or advisor. If your home is not a safe environment, it needs to change. You are not responsible for your parents' behavior. An adult may have access to resources that may not involve law enforcement, at least not at the outset. On the other hand, your safety is the most important thing and you need to take all appropriate steps to protect yourself.

This is not a substitute for a consultation with a family law attorney or domestic violence counselor.