My own mother is suing me for pulling a prank on her, recording it, and then posting it on You Tube. Can she really sue me?

Two years ago, I decided to fill my parent's house with energy drinks. If my mom sees one of these drinks, she usually throws it in the neighbor's yard. For a prank I put thousands of these bottles in the house and put hidden cameras in the house to see her reaction. She went on a rampage. I posted the video on YouTube. Well her friends, coworkers, and neighbors seen it. She's furious at me, she said it ruined her reputation. Now she’s trying to sue me. Her own son! It was just a
harmless joke. Was it illegal?
The video is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmgua1IX-Jo

Thanks,

Chris Bissonnette

Your question raises many issues. If your mother truely wishes to sue you, and if the youtube was put up over 2 years ago, she may be beyond the statute of limitations for any damages.

Further, your mother will need to prove damages to win anything. To prove mental distress she would probably need to show her years of therapy and the cost.

Further, once she finds out how much it is going to cost to sue you (thousands) she may not want to bother.

Finally, come on man, it is your mother. You could restore family harmony by taking down the videwo. Give your mom a break and give her the one thing she wants most for Christmas and take down the videwo.

Thanks. You have to admit her reaction was hilarious?

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

By the way, lawyers normally do not follow links on the internet - the shortest route to computer viruses and ruin.

That's true.

I agree with Mr. Jaffe and especially endorse his last paragraph.
Dude, it's you mom!

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

thanks. You have to admit her reaction was hilarious?

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

She just called me. She has a 30 minute slide show she will be posting of you as a naked baby, drooling, peeing, etc. and she assures me it is also quite funny! (Obvously I'm just kidding, but I think you get the point.)

lol

I agree with my colleagues, but I think your concerns about a lawsuit miss the point.

To say the least, your actions were inconsiderate and insensitive. (Think about the gay student who killed himself after his roommate posted a surreptitiously-recorded video.) You don't need a lawyer - you need a counselor who can teach you and the other members of your family how to interact with one another appropriately and with respect.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

You've already received some pretty good answers. If you're seriously asking this question and not trying to drive traffic to your link, you should re-think your people skills.

There is most certainly an underlying, unseen factor that made your mother's reaction what it was. That is the factor you should be addressing.

I wish you the best of luck.

I am a lawyer, but I am not YOUR lawyer unless we have a written representation agreement in place. This answer DOES NOT ESTABLISH an attorney-client relationship. Answers on Avvo are not intended to replace the advice of an attorney who has conducted a complete intake interview. If any statement I make may be construed in a fashion that violates any laws or ethical guidelines, you may rest assured that I intended it to be construed otherwise.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury